Sunday, September 1, 2013

Prague From Day to Night

   So Prague is absolutely amazing and I have officially decided that I am never returning home. On Friday Matus and I left Liberec and came to Prague to explore and prepare for me to move into my apartment with USAC. We spent the day seeing as much as we could. I had my first experience with the metro, which is very well organized and extremely easy to pick up. Each stop is only about a minute and it makes everything in the city so accessible. Once I learn the ins and outs of the city, I will be a pro! From Budejovicka, we took the short ride to Muzeum and when I reached the surface, the very first thing I saw was the National Museum up at the top of Wenceslas Square. I learned that this is the largest, oldest museum in the Czech Republic. Found in 1818, the museum holds a vast array of exhibits ranging from agriculture to zoology. It was stunning.
   Now on to my most favorite place I have ever seen or been to in my entire life. A place where I see myself going all the time in the coming months whether it be for studying or just relaxing, and that is Charles Bridge. It was so difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that I was walking across a bridge that began construction in 1347! Can you imagine how many famous and historical people have probably walked across it since then? The Charles Bridge offers one of the most beautiful views on the city, in my opinion. You have people riding paddle boats in the Vltava River, a gorgeous view of the Prague Castle up on the hill, rolling hills of trees, and towers at both ends of the bridge that showcase striking examples of the high gothic architecture. It's most definitely one of the most iconic structures in Prague and probably one of the most romantic. I fell in love there.
   We then continued our walk until we reached Old Town Square which dates back to the 12th century. With its ancient buildings and incredible churches, I understand why this is considered to be one of the most beautiful historical sights in Europe. To soak up all the beauty and incredible atmosphere, Matus and I stopped for a drink at one of the pavement cafes lining the square and just relaxed a bit, enjoyed the sunshine, and people watched.
   Come nightfall, I got ready for my first taste of the Prague nightlife, and boy was it a night to remember. Matus introduced me to his friend Matus (a very common name here) and together we walked the cobblestone streets. The first place we went to was a chic little pub that had weird modern art all over the walls. It was very stylish. We then hit a couple dance clubs that are called discos here. Golden Tree was probably my favorite, although I got completely lost trying to find the restroom. There were so many hallways leading to different rooms, it was so easy to get turned around. I've heard many great things about the Prague nightlife, and after witnessing it myself I can say that I agree with it all. We finished our evening walking once again on the Charles Bridge. It was completely different from earlier in the afternoon because this time there was literally no one on it...granted in was about 3 in the morning. My first day in Prague was a success, and it's safe to say that I will never tire of this city.













:)









No comments:

Post a Comment