Sunday, September 29, 2013

Back to My Roots

   More than 25 years ago when my mother was traveling through Europe, she went to communist Slovakia and was able to meet her Dad's eldest sister, Kamila. She stayed in her one bedroom flat in Bratislava and was able to learn more about her Dad and his family history. My great Aunt was in her late sixties during that time. Now 20 years later, I too was able to travel to Bratislava this past weekend and meet my great Aunt Kamila for the very first time, stay in her one bedroom flat in Bratislava, and travel to my grandfather's home town Brvniste, Slovakia. It was an experience that's hard to put into words, but one thing I know for sure, I will never forget it.
    My Grandpa, Vladamir Kuchalik,  was born on April 2, 1930 in Brvniste, Czechoslovakia. In 1948 he escaped the communist country and left behind his friends, family, and everything he knew. He was certain that if he had stayed, he would have either died or spent his life in prison. Joining the U.S. Army in Germany, he eventually found himself in Las Vegas. My Grandpa was the kindest, sweetest, and funniest man I have ever known. I've always had an immense amount of respect and admiration for the man that he was. He was my best friend and when he died in 2011, it was heartbreaking. I think I feel so close to his story because he was so close to me. I decided to study in Prague for the very reason of having the opportunity to meet my family in Slovakia and learn more about the life my Grandpa lived and where he came from. Not only that, but it's really special that my Great Aunt Kamila was able to meet her brother's daughter (my mom), and now 20 years later still be alive to meet her brother's granddaughter (me). 
   I arrived in Bratislava Friday morning and took a taxi to my Aunt's home. She was waiting for me downstairs, and when I first saw her it was hard for me not to get emotional. I first noticed her eyes. A deep brown with a kindness that could be seen as soon as she smiled. Just like my Grandpa. I gave her a big hug and we went upstairs where she had fixed a plethora of food for me. Did I mention that she speaks no English what so ever? So communication was very difficult to say the least and all I had with me was a Slovak dictionary. I think the clearest conversation we had with one another was when I commented on how little she was and she responded by saying she was so old. I then told her no, and that she was beautiful. She then burst into laughter and I followed. We spent the afternoon looking through old pictures and trying to talk to one another, but failing. However, I did understand her when she told me she was happy. She then took me to the train station where I bought my ticket to Brvniste for the next morning and after we went to an old church where she took a few minutes to say a prayer. We spent our evening eating dinner and watching Slovak soap operas. As much as I wanted to be able to communicate with her and tell her anything and everything, it wasn't really necessary. Us just being able to meet one another, spend time together, and smile at one another said so much. 
   Early Saturday morning I woke up and began my journey to Brvniste where I was meeting my Aunt's cousin Stanoslav. When I got off the train, I saw this little elderly man holding a bright pink flower and when I saw him I just knew he was waiting for me. He shook my hand and told me that this was the train station where my Grandpa first began his journey to America. He then welcomed me and gave me a run down of the days plans. The actual town of Brvniste is about 20 mins away from the station and only has 1,100 residents. Our short drive to this little village was absolutely breathtaking. Rolling hills of lush green grass and trees were endless. It was like something out of a movie. The best way I can describe the town of Brvniste is simple, yet charming. There were people out doing things like building sheds, painting fences, feeding chickens, and children riding bikes. We arrived at Stano's home and there we ate coffee and home made apple strudel from the apple trees in Stano's backyard. It was the most heavenly thing I've ever eaten. He then took me to the spot where my Grandpa was born and where his home used to be. It was surreal standing in the very spot where he was born in the very country he was from. Stano then informed me that my Grandpa had another living sibling, Vera, and that we were going to visit her too. Vera lived just down the road and when we arrived I met her, her husband, and her two sons Vlado and Jano. We all had lunch together and again looked through old pictures of my Grandpa's brothers and sisters. My trip to Brvniste was an unforgettable success. 
   I made my way back to Bratislava and spent my last evening with Aunt Kamila. We did the same thing as the night before, eat dinner and watch Slovak soap operas. In the morning we had coffee, bread, and jam together and then Aunt Kamila walked with me outside to the taxi. We gave one another a big hug and said our goodbyes. 
   I have a very special love for my Grandpa and I wish with all my heart that he was still alive so that I could share all of this with him. He would be so happy. It's extremely fulfilling knowing that I have already accomplished my main goal for coming here. I was able to go back to my roots this weekend and learn so much about my Grandpa, his family, and even myself. This is an experience that has made me a better person and it's something that I will carry with me forever.


My Great Aunt Kamila and I taking selfies. :) 


After our walk around Bratislava.

Stano and I at the train station.

Where my Grandpa was born.


Where my Grandpa's home used to be.

All this land belongs to Kuchalik's.

My great Aunt Vera and I. 


My Grandpa when he was still living in Czechoslovakia. He was a stud.

<3 















No comments:

Post a Comment